Wednesday, December 24, 2008

God's Perfection

The amazing amount of snow we've received in the last week has made routine travel a chore. Drive times are double because 4 lanes are now two, 2 lanes are now one. This leaves a lot of time for reflection. Today, as I was in bumper to bumper traffic that would make LA proud I was thinking about the family member who declared this week "I don't believe in God!"

I am so saddened by this lack of belief that to me it represents a lack of hope. All kinds of thoughts come to mind, like prove God doesn't exist and if you don't believe what are you celebrating this time of year?

And then, in the middle of this angst, I looked at my window and saw the most beautiful snowflake fall on to the glass. It was spectacular. So delicate and fragile and I knew that at any moment it would melt and be gone. I saw another, and another and took note of the differences in each. They say no two snowflakes are alike. It's true, I didn't see one that was exactly like the other. This thought led me, in my stream of consciousness thinking, to people and how no two are alike, and that we are born at all is a miracle in itself. Suddenly, there were miracles all around me and I thought such perfection can only exist where God does. These things aren't random coincidences, to believe so shows a lack of hope and that a reliance on future coincidence is essential to the good things in life. Things could get better, but might not. But if we believe in God, we have hope. Hope in life, hope in death, hope that today's disappointments will become tomorrow's blessings.

The blessings in my life, my health, my family, my friends, my career are all the result of a loving God and the gifts He has given me. Some of these blessings didn't happen the way I wanted, but they happened at the moment they were supposed to, in God's time. . . . . absolute perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment