Monday, December 15, 2008

Why are the holidays so crazy??

The last week has been just crazy. Every board I'm on had their year end meeting, the kids Christmas programs are this week, the last day of school before vacation is Friday, my shopping isn't done and I'm trying to figure out when I'll have the time to make gifts for the teachers.

All of this got me thinking: The holidays are supposed to be about family, reflection, blessings, giving and I'm feeling like there aren't enough hours in the day to do what needs to be done. Rarely is there a time during the year that feels as hectic as this last month. Why is that? Why is there so much pressure to do so much. Why do we cram a year's worth of cards, gift giving, volunteer work and love into 25 days.

Seems like all we do between Thanksgiving and Christmas should be done throughout the year. My dad asked me recently "Why do most charities send out their fundraising letters at this time of year when everyone is spending their money on other things?" I think it is the one time of year that people really think about those less fortunate and are more likely to give than any other time of the year. But wouldn't it be great if every month was like December? Not the craziness that occurs, but the love, kindness and giving that happens? Imagine what that would be like. Awesome!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree!!

    I am so glad you have a blog now too, I will definitely be back to check in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I don't know how often I'll do it. Right now it's kind of as the spirit moves me as you can tell from my most recent post. But we will see.

    ReplyDelete